WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
OUR BUSINESS NEWARK SATURDAY
Powered by Invest Newark
This November 21st, we want to celebrate Our Business Newark Saturday with YOU! Small businesses create an atmosphere. They turn our zip codes and city blocks into communities. There’s something special about shopping small, supporting local business owners and keeping the love right here in our community–this day wouldn’t be a celebration without businesses like you joining us!
Our Business Newark Saturday Programming includes digital campaigns, digital convenings, micro-activations, and pop-up experiences aligned with Our Business Newark Saturday’s mission of the widespread promotion of our Small Business Owners and Entrepreneurs.
All activations and businesses participating in Our Business Newark Saturday will have listings via robust real time mobile friendly webpage and app-based experience.
City of Newark COVID-19 Rules Will Be Strictly Enforced
- Thursday, November 19, 4:00 – 7:00 PM
The Market SPACE, =SPACE Campus, 89 Market St.
Register at Bit.ly/mark3tspac3nwk
- Saturday, November 21 Our Newark Business Saturday
12:00 – 6:00 PM > South Ward Pop-up Shop at 1079 Bergen St.
4:00 – 8:00 PM > For The Culture Newark at RyArMo Photography Studio, 74 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
- Tuesday, November 24, 4:30 – 7:30 PM
Photo Lunch Party at Family Manor Restaurant, 795 Sanford Ave.
Why should my business participate in Our Business Newark Saturday?
We built a data-driven initiative that will help your business:
- Increase sales;
- Increase traffic (online/in-person);
- Increase social media followers;
- Increase exposure of service/product provided;
- Increase awareness of business within community, and
- Increase dollars spent within the City of Newark by residents and non-residents alike.
What do we need from our Small Business Community in Newark?
- Promotion and active participation in Our Business Newark Saturday events.
- Encourage registration and participation of fellow small business owners within the City of Newark.
- Registration for Our Business Newark Saturday Here via Invest Newark.
At a time when businesses are struggling to survive during mandated closures and restrictions, every dollar spent locally helps. The immediate need to help the independent business community is obvious, and we all play a part in our survival. The benefits of shopping small extend beyond times of crisis to encourage socially conscious consumer spending in Newark.
- To help our local independent businesses and our community thrive.
- Strategic collaborations and innovative systems aligning the City of Newark and stakeholders with a grassroot led entrepreneurial initiative that supports historically marginalized communities.
- The ongoing pandemic necessitates the need for short, mid and long-term visions to ensure sustainability of our BIPOC small business enterprises.
Why is my small business important to the long-term growth of The City of Newark & its stakeholders?
Local businesses are what make Newark, well, Newark! Our small businesses give our community character, create vibrancy, and bring us unique experiences. The City of Newark and its long-term stakeholders all benefit equitably from a sustainable interconnected ecosystem that nurtures entrepreneurship with systems in place to allocate affordable accessible capital towards worthwhile investment endeavors. Entrepreneurs take risk by establishing ventures, opening businesses, hiring staff, buying commercial property and investing resources that are vital to the growth of any municipality.
- Local property owners lease vacant storefront commercial space to pop-up shops activating street traffic in once blighted commercial corridors.
- Local entrepreneurs grow to become state registered tax generating ventures in need of expanded space.
- A greater percentage of revenue circulating through the local economy.
Following the call by Ryan Arnez Monroe, Owner/Creative Director of RyArMo Photography Studio, five local leaders in Newark (Erin Bush, Khalil Chaneyfield Nass, Medina, Tenagne Girma-Jeffries & Zay Little) came together to create a series of events that would economically empower small businesses across the City of Newark.
During the spread of COVID-19 while most small businesses are worrying about their own survival, Newark has moved to work on ways to connect, collaborate, and create solutions that will save our own businesses.
Given the high rate of minority small businesses that have been declined for financial assistance, we have focused on creating targeted activations across the City that celebrate our culture and create commitment from Newarkers and surrounding communities to spend locally. The solutions that we so desperately need should come from us, the impact can be made from grassroots efforts met with local government support. Our Business Newark Saturday events, from Nov 17th – 28th, will be in-person and digital experiences meant to create an ecosystem of support and build awareness of each other for each other.
We know that by minding our businesses we can and will be a stronger community.
Create a cultural shift that identifies Newark residents as a community that supports entrepreneurs and makes shopping small a habit by being “loyal to local!”