For assistance with Training Programs, please contact:
Franklin Alvarez, JD
AVP of Business Development & Entrepreneurship
Office: (973) 273-1040
Small businesses are the engine behind Newark’s economy, employing thousands while providing resources that families and other businesses rely on every day. However, starting a new business is challenging and requires overcoming several hurdles, especially for minority entrepreneurs. To help support the innovative ideas that drive our city’s economy, Invest Newark offers numerous resources and training programs:
Certification for Minority and Women Business Owners:
- Invest Newark hosts expos throughout the city to give business owners the opportunity to apply for multiple certifications and to ensure Newark-based businesses are competing for RFPs to enable them to grow their businesses.
- In partnership with The Cayemitte Group, Invest Newark provides Minority and Women Owned Businesses training focused on back-office operations, certifications, and investing.
- Invest Newark partners with local-lending institutions to develop multi-week business literacy trainings for entrepreneurs, covering topics such as accounting, marketing, human capital, operations management, licensing, and certifications. Visit the Community Calendar for upcoming trainings.
- Through the award-winning “StreetWise MBA” training program in partnership with Interise, Newark-based small business owners learn the business knowledge, management know-how, and the networks needed to grow established small businesses in this seven-month program
Accelerating Women-Owned Businesses:
- “Walking Into Destiny” is a 12-week entrepreneurship program that trains female entrepreneurs who are looking to accelerate their businesses. The program affords participants the opportunity to learn from each other, as well as seasoned presenters and facilitators who are also minority and women business owners